Sunday, November 13

Hochblauen Hike...

About a month ago, I took a day to do a 20km (14 mile) hike up to Hochblauen (literal translation is "High-Blue" and one of the highest points in this area, 3351 ft). It was a great day and a great hike. From the summit, I was able to get my first glimpse of the Swiss Alps. Here are some photos from along the way...





I found out what some of the letters/symbols mean on this marker: "G" - Gemeinde (community"); "K" - Kandern; and the vessel represents the pottery that Kandern is known for. Kind of interesting, eh?...


The Sausenburg Castle ruins, located about mid-way through the hike...
 I made a friend along the way...


To put the size of the trees into perspective, notice the two people walking along the path...


A view from the top of Hochblauen (3351 ft)...


Self-timers on cameras are a lifesaver...


Here are a few photos of houses I passed in Kandern to get to the trail...





And here is the Kandern train station. The steam engine train is only a tourist thing, running during the summer and fall. The only way out of Kandern on public transportation is by bus...


No comments:

Post a Comment